Nurse Moon’s Quick Fire Pickles
This recipe was sent to me by my friend Helen, yes, she’s a nurse and she knows what’s good for us- whole, organic foods! This quick pickle recipe is an excellent way to preserve all those cucumbers that have taken over your garden. Raw cucumbers are a cooling summer food. When combined with some hot pepper, garlic, ginger and vinegar these pickle become a perfect fall condiment or snack. Enjoy!
Fire Cider Pickles:
- 2 or 3 cucumbers sliced into thin rounds
- half an onion sliced into half moons
- 2 cloves garlic
- a thumbnail of ginger, peeled
For the Brine:
- Few pinches of kosher salt
- Crushed red pepper (to taste)
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup Fire Cider
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1. Put the cucumber, onion slices, ginger and garlic into a clean quart canning jar.
2. Add the remaining brine ingredients to a pot an boil on the stove top for 5 minutes.